Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "The New Sicilian Dragon" by Simon Williams (Read 111742 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: "The New Sicilian Dragon" by Simon Willi
Reply #16 - 07/09/09 at 00:42:15
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/08/09 at 13:06:43:
This concerns me. I ordered the book, but it looks like I'm going to have to compare his recommendations against Khalifman and the newest games to make sure I'm not walking into any nasty stuff that he forgot to cover.

I like Simon Williams' chess a lot, but I wonder weather [sic] such a "devil may care" personality type is a good choice for an opening book author, where a lot of research, care, and attention to detail is really necessary to produce a great book. I thought his Dutch book was okay, but way too brief and a little bit optimistic in the evaluations. I hope this book isn't the same.

1. Unfortunate that there is such a lag between finishing a book and it hitting the market. Imagine El Khalif not around then.

2. I am not sure that speculating as to the personality of an author who you presumably don't know personally, of a book you have not yet read is particularly helpful at this stage.

3. Regarding research, care, organisation etc, I doubt that you would become a decent strength GM if you were not systematic in your repertoire building. Otherwise you would be perpetually out-prepared and win but few.

Anyhow, look forward to having a look at this new text when amazon.co.jp finally gets onto it.
« Last Edit: 07/09/09 at 01:42:55 by Bibs »  

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #15 - 07/09/09 at 00:04:53
Post Tools
Quote:
I'd like to mention that one of my very small contributions to the chess world (they've all been very small!) is the name "Accelerated Dragadorf"  If you don't like that name then you can blame me.

Like the name (and the opening) a lot, except that the spelling 'Dragodorf' is far preferable. No reason for (possible) pronunciation to trump etymology in determining spelling here, unless -- heaven forfend! -- you swallow the theories of Masha Bell ...

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Re: "The New Sicilian Dragon" by Simon Williams
Reply #14 - 07/08/09 at 20:53:08
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/08/09 at 13:06:43:
This concerns me. I ordered the book, but it looks like I'm going to have to compare his recommendations against Khalifman and the newest games to make sure I'm not walking into any nasty stuff that he forgot to cover.

I like Simon Williams' chess a lot, but I wonder weather such a "devil may care" personality type is a good choice for an opening book author, where a lot of research, care, and attention to detail is really necessary to produce a great book. I thought his Dutch book was okay, but way too brief and a little bit optimistic in the evaluations. I hope this book isn't the same.

I'm pretty sure Khalifman's book covering the Dragon variation came out too late to be used by Williams.  When I have time I'm going to get OFWAA 11 and make a comparison of the variations.   After reading the introduction of William's book it doesn't appear that he was familiar with Martin's DVD of the Dragadorf.  However, I do have both and I'll just make the comment that generally speaking Williams is more thorough.  TalJechin mentioned that he'd have liked to seen a straight repertoire approach but in this case I'd have to disagree.  I think the opening is too young for anyone to come to a consensus on what the best variations are for either color and it's nice to know about other possible tries in case the main line is refuted.  In the summary to chapter one Williams writes, "At the moment an early Bc4 looks critical.  It would seem that Black has a number of interesting plans available to him, but it is too early to suggest what the correct approach for him is."  I would say this is true of a number of variations in the book.  This may seem unfortunate because it's going to involve more work to put together one's own Dragadorf repertoire but one good point is that it will also be harder for White to predict what Black will try.  I still believe this is a very good book which is an excellent starting point for anyone wanting to play the Dragadorf.  My recommendation is to start going over the variations and see what feels right and afterwards go over the critical variations with your favorite computer engine.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #13 - 07/08/09 at 15:45:30
Post Tools
It appears as though this book is out in the US before it's out in Europe. This is confirmed by the Everyman Chess site, which says that it's supposed to come out in Europe a month later. Finally, the US gets a book first!  Grin

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #12 - 07/08/09 at 13:06:43
Post Tools

I like Simon Williams' chess a lot, but I wonder weather such a "devil may care" personality type is a good choice for an opening book author, where a lot of research, care, and attention to detail is really necessary to produce a great book. I thought his Dutch book was okay, but way too brief and a little bit optimistic in the evaluations. I hope this book isn't the same.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #11 - 07/08/09 at 12:52:09
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/08/09 at 10:28:46:
@TalJechin: I have not seen this book for sale anywhere in Sweden.
Where did you get it?

I ordered it from chess4less, but there are probably many other places on the net where you can get it.

Btw, after clicking in a few games on the computer I kind wish he'd made a straight repertoire book in a tree format, in the style of the excellent introduction.

The book starts off with a bunch of black losses, and there's plenty of ?! and ? in the 'main line' game (and many of the ?! moves are recurring in other games).  So, I think will skip many of the main games and concentrate on his analysis of what seems critical to know, as I'm just getting confused by all the recurring ?!s, transpositions and references between the games...

Btw, neither Martin's dvd or OFWAA  11 are listed in the bibliography - which actually only consists of Dearing, WwtS2 - Ward, Mega Database 2008 and Ward on ChessPub.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #10 - 07/08/09 at 10:28:46
Post Tools
@TalJechin: I have not seen this book for sale anywhere in Sweden.
Where did you get it?

Also generelly about Dragadorf, when watching Martins DVD I got the impression that black was ok in most lines except Bc4 yugoslav like lines and that DVD did not cover it very well (many moves where unmentioned) so I hope that Wiliams book is better.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #9 - 07/08/09 at 05:13:21
Post Tools
First of all I don't own OFWAA  11 yet so I can't tell you where they diverge but since Khalifman didn't have access to "The New Sicilian Dragon" I'm hopeful that he didn't refute the entire opening.  Williams does think the setup with Bc4 in the Yugoslav is the most critical from White and thinks a plan with an early ...h6 (at least versus the typical White development with Qd2,Be3,f3) may be the most promising for Black.  He also mentions what seems to be a playable system where Black castles queenside.  This may have been posted elsewhere on the forum but in case not here are the contents:

Bibliography                                                                    4
   Introduction                                                                    5

1  The Main Line: An early Bc4                                             15
2  The Main Line: Queenside Castling with g4 and h4              44
3  The Main Line: Queenside Castling and a quick Bh6            70
4  The Main Line: Positional Tries and Early Deviations           95
5  The Accelerated Dragadorf                                             114
6  Classical Lines for White                                                 157
7  Less Common Lines for White                                         191

Index of Variations                                                        220
   Index of Games                                                            223

I'd like to mention that one of my very small contributions to the chess world (they've all been very small!) is the name "Accelerated Dragadorf"  If you don't like that name then you can blame me.  That originated from my thread on the forum here http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1166156625/3.  Not long afterwords Ward wrote this in his January 2007 update in the notes to Demianjuk-Kabanov 2006, "When I browsed the forums the other day I noticed that a thread had started up regarding what it seems we might call the 'Accelerated Dragadorf' and relates to the sequence 6... a6 7. f3 b5 Actually I had given a little thought to this idea which favours leaving the bishop on f8 in favour of this swift queenside expansion."  I had proposed this idea for Black to save a tempo on the Bh6, ...Bxh6 lines for Black but Ward mentioned the equally important idea that Black's bishop covers the b4 square from home which helps out in a4, ...b4 sequences.  I haven't found the latter point mentioned by Williams in his book but he does seem to cover those variations well. Perhaps he didn't mention it because White's most critical response to ...b4 is Nd5! which appears to stop any scenario where the bishop can attack b4.

I thought the introductory chapter was well written and brought up some very good points on how to play the positions for Black.  I certainly learned from it.    All of the games in the theoretical chapters are well annotated and there is a wealth of new analysis put forward in the notes.  I mentioned earlier that Williams gives the early Bc4 of chapter one as the most critical variation, chapters 2 and 3 seem quite comfortable for Black (In case it's not obvious those chapters deal with setups where White's bishop doesn't make it to c4.)  White's best way to cause trouble in this line might be to try an early g4,h4 combo before castling queenside.  Chapter 4 deals with some positional ideas for White.  Williams mentions these ideas are annoying for the player of the Black pieces but Black seems to be OK although this probably represents the second most critical try from White.  Black needs to know what he's doing against the other variations but the book shows effective ways for Black to meet White's other tries.  The last two chapters could be useful to those who play the regular Dragon.  I personally think this is an excellent book and a model for how to write about a new opening.
Quote:
"...it's an inspiring book for those who like the less trodden path - though in 5-10 years it will probably be either refuted or very theoretical, so have fun while it lasts!", TalJechin.
 I'm inclined to believe the opening will remain playable but since much of William's analysis is new some of it is likely to be refuted.  That's only to be expected in a new opening system where a lot more tests are still needed to clarify many variations.  I do fear that it will become very theoretical and this will probably happen closer to 5 years than 10 years.  An aggressive new defence for Black against 1.e4 is bound to get fairly popular at some point.

« Last Edit: 07/08/09 at 07:18:00 by Glenn Snow »  

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #8 - 07/07/09 at 18:02:37
Post Tools
Do you have OFWAA 11? Where do they diverge?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #7 - 07/07/09 at 17:54:19
Post Tools
It's an interesting effort, it's not often that a new chessbook is at the forefront of the theory like this, and from the text it's obvious that Williams has his heart in the project.

Basically, there are three sections:

1) white's Yugoslav set-up vs g6, a6 & Bg7 - play is closer to the dragon with some inspiration from the Najdorf like going for e5+d5 instead of just d5

2) white's Yugoslav set-up vs g6, a6 & with Bg7 delayed - here play is closer to a Najdorf, as black develops the q-side first, Nbd7, b5, Bb7 - though an early a2-a4 seems critical - the price for trying to save a tempo on Bf8-g7xh6.

3) other white set-ups Bc4 without f3; Be2; g3 etc, these are basically the ordinary dragon though he tries to recommend lines similar in spirit to the Dragadorf.

I haven't played the dragon since the mid 1990s, but imo this is an interesting system - especially since it's still mainly in the idea phase, so there's not so much to memorize.

Btw, I don't think he mentions it, but it's similar to another system-mix in the Sicilian i.e. 5...Nbd7 which combined the Najdorf, Scheveningen and Dragon depending on who played it. Iirc, 6.Bg5 was the critical line, and if so then 5...g6 and 6/7...a6 eliminates that line.

Anyway, in conclusion, it's an inspiring book for those who like the less trodden path - though in 5-10 years it will probably be either refuted or very theoretical, so have fun while it lasts!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/09 at 20:34:13
Post Tools
The book appears to be out. Anyone have it, opinions, excerpt?  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/09 at 08:29:58
Post Tools
foster wrote on 06/18/09 at 00:19:18:
TonyRo wrote on 06/10/09 at 14:09:32:
I think it should be read as "Provides answers to all of White's options (within the Dragondorf)"  

Why the dragodorf? I don't trust this line and it has not been played in top lvl lately.

Well, look at Kamsky- Hess, US Championship.

The non-doctor, non-lawyer made no headway.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/09 at 08:04:38
Post Tools
Quote:
Does anyone know when will this book be released?

Here's where I ordered my copy from.  http://search.a1books.com/cgi-bin/mktSearch?act=showDesc&ITEM_CODE=1857446151

It's a low price but it doesn't actually say the book is in stock.

IP Logged

foster
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/18/09 at 00:19:18
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 06/10/09 at 14:09:32:
I think it should be read as "Provides answers to all of White's options (within the Dragondorf)" 

Why the dragodorf? I don't trust this line and it has not been played in top lvl lately. I wish that he recommended the chinese variation and the line 10.h4 h5! 11.0-0-0 Rc8 12.Bb3 Ne5 which has not been refuted at all and difficult to play for White. (i know bcuz I play this as White.)

But excellent book btw! I had always wanted to add Dragon to my repertoire (especially Chinese,as I didn't find an advantage as White!).

Does anyone know when will this book be released?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/09 at 14:09:32
Post Tools

I think it will just cover the Open Sicilian, nothing else.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo